The first night I got 3 walls sewn together, embossed with elastic, and hung from the wall (using duct tape at the moment - in the actual space I am going to use staples and nails). Draping and the way the fabric falls is very important to me in this room. I want to viewer to just be completely enveloped by the entire space.
In my actual room at the gallery, there are four 8 ft walls, two 4 ft walls, a fireplace (that measures 4.5 ft across), and a section of wall/panel/space that measures 5 ft 11 inches. The entire room is 9 ft 4 inches tall.
I've used 2 whole bolts of fabric (ranging from 23 yds to 30 yds, respectively.) and about a half a bolt. Today I bought a 3rd and ordered a 4th (just in case). If I had to guesstimate, I'd say I've used about 45 yds of fabric.
I love it.
When I came in later in the week, the duct tape totally FAILED and everything was on the floor. So I folded everything up inside-out (so as not to get dirty) and continued measuring, cutting, and piecing the walls together with my sewing machine. And just in case any of you seamstresses out there are wondering, I use my grandmother's Janome from the 1980s. She gave it to me several years ago, along with the contents of her sewing room [that she left to me in her will].
I also thought it would be fun to "model" with the satin for a bit while I was cutting it.
You do what you can to stay entertained. I think this was on the night I hadn't eaten anything for about 8 hours. I was silly. I AM silly.
Ooh, Model it, Grrrl.
Well, I'm off again to go sew and cause general mischief.
Later this next week I am going to build a couple framing walls for the practice installation (with the help of Mr. Marcus).
Keep your eyes peeled though, my children, I just had an adventure at Crystal Bridges Museum (with the MSU Art History Club) and will post about it, as well as finding a book there called "PUSH Stitchery: 30 Artists Explore the Boundaries of Stitched Art." DROOL.
Go Make Something. Love you.