Friday, August 26, 2011

Oh, I Can't Control Myself...

So, Mischief.
Last week I mentioned I was (as usual) up to no good. It was because my prettyful friend Amy had been out of town for about a week. I decided to (and, she told me later that she expected it. I guess I semi-spilled the beans one night after too much vodka. Dangit! Next. Time.) fill her room to the brim with balloons taped from the ceiling and have a pinata (in the form of a green monster) in the corner filled with gum and toothpaste. Although expecting it, she loved it just the same. I had a good time setting it up, except for almost passing out haha! 30 balloons in an hour! Whew!


Here is the latest sculpture. I hung it up one way, then flipped it the other way - just testing my options. From this sculpture I've learned that I LOVVEEEE yarn as a covering for the wire. It shows the "skeleton" way better than any other fabric I've ever tried. The only thing about this particular sculpture is that I Hate the yarn I used. I just had a lot of it. So my advisor, Sean, and I talked about it and I am going to try and use yarn of such colors that will show off the different planes and make it even more 3-dimensional than it already is. My teacher Sharon thinks I should go to the YARN STORE (I had no idea we had one, I think I just went down an old lady status) and scope out what kind of yarn I should use. She also wants to teach me and/or have me learn how to make my own yarn, dye it, and basket weave. HOLY SHIT. It's like i'm going to college in the 1970s. YES.
So, right now I am sitting on my bed making 5 wire miniatures of the above sculpture (it's about 3 ft long by 2 ft) so I can test different yarn on it. Tomorrow among my not working, I am going to go have an Art Party with my best painter friend, Carl. I am so excited! He usually knows exactly what advice to give me, so a lot of work should get done.

In my Sculpture II class, I've decided that I'm going to make a wire sculpture (like the above one, basically it's my main shape that I've been making/working on the past year) but use muslin and plaster. Then I was thinking if all goes as planned (I am so excited - I love Plaster!) I will stain it with something. More to come on that later.

Here's some jam for your brain:

ok, call me a nerd but HERE is the same song played on Gilmore Girls (which I have been watching on DVD recently like a madwoman) by Lane's band (Hep Alien). I really love the vocals and how they picked up the beat. Oh, music nerd.
Alright, off to make more sculptures I go. My hands are going to look gnarly when I'm 90.
XO.
P.S. The First week of school went great!! I think I'm going to love Fibers class.

No comments:

Post a Comment