Wednesday, October 5, 2011

I Want To Live Where Soul Meets Body.

Hey Beautyful Dreamin' Children!
So, this weekend my hetero-lifemate Tiffany and I went roadtrippin' to Kansas City to see our dear pretty friend Kaycee tie the knot with her fella Aaron. We had some photo booth fun while we were there!! [Tiffany is with me on the strip on the right. She was my date. We got some funny looks, but whatevs man - we were smokin' foxy! Kaycee, the blushing bride, is in the middle strip on the right. Along with the pretty Maid of Honor, Leslie on the left (I'm in the back with Claire). Then me and my favorite person ever Claire on the right strip. I'm surrounded by the best human beings I swear!]
While in Kansas City, Tiffany and I walked (because it was brilliant outside all weekend) to the Kemper Museum of Contemporary Art and the Nelson-Atkins Museum of Art - which were right behind our hotel. I mean of course we walked to the museums! Poor Tiffany, though, she was stuck there with me the "OH! Look at That!!!then disappears in a poof of cloud"Girl. Not to mention my art history nerdness coming out on her.....

Me: Look Tiffany, that piece is trying to emulate Rauschenberg's White Paintings. See how the images projected on the wall are more important to the viewer than the piece itself?

Tiffany: ...err....what? That's cool. Oh, Look in the other gallery...Peacocks.......

Haha. Poor gal. My friend Carl is the same way in the gallery. We once sat in front of Monet's Waterlilies (at the Nelson) for about 45 minutes. Without. Saying. A. Word. High Five for ArtNerds!

Anyways, tangent, here are some more pictures from our trip. Kaycee's wedding was so pretty and I was honored to be asked to read a poem during the ceremony (Khalil Gibran's On Marriage), not to mention that we were served Thanksgiving dinner food while listening to symphonic covers of 90's classics. It was great! Along with the wedding and going to the museums, we also got lost on the way back home, we missed a turn somewhereorother, and in order to get to the Osceola Cheese Factory (being a tradition and everything for my Kansas City Trips) we had to drive on MO HWY B for like an hour and a half. No Big Deal, Right? Did I mention that MO HWY B is gravely and windy and way out in the BFE middle of nowhere? Yep. I got to see the sights of the cities of Rockville and Roscoe - and if we would've backtracked any further I could've seen Appleton City, Missouri. Never heard of any of those places til Saturday. LOL. It was beautiful though. Love Missouri land. Oh, and did I mention that we made it back to HWY 13 and the Cheese Factory - I call it the "Cheese Festival" - with 5 minutes to spare before they closed? Yep. That's how we do it.

This is Roxy Paine's beautiful, steel tree sculpture. It measures 58 ft tall. Holy Shit! Beautiful. It's the newest piece in the Nelson-Atkins Sculpture park. Love it.

Some of Yinka Shonibare's work. He's wonderful.

Petah Coyne's beautiful installation at the Kemper. It took up a whole gallery space by itself. We looked at it for like half an hour if not longer. Lovvveeee. The walls were even painted peacock blue. I want to do installation work so much!!!!

And of course, one of Claes Oldenburg's famous Shuttlecock sculptures at the Nelson (I lovve Oldenburg) and the wonderfully weird spider-looking (with me!) sculpture in front of the Kemper. All in all, it was a beautiful weekend. Except for when we first got lost. We were almost out of gas and I swear I heard the Deliverance banjos. But when that got sorted out, it got better. Not to mention the fact that I bought a huge book on Kiki Smith at the gift shop at the Nelson. See post below for info on her. She's amazing. If I get brave enough, I'm going to email her and pick her brain a bit. Maybe she'll answer? Ralph Steadman answered my email, so you never know. Happy Rest of The Week, Everyone!

P.S. Started plastering my sculpture. It looks amazing! More to come on that soon. Stay tuned.XO.

No comments:

Post a Comment