Sunday, September 25, 2011

Some day You Will Ache Like I Ache.....My Influences List:

As mentioned in my last post [Click to read if you're lazy and don't wanna scroll down.] I am going to list my artistic influences and music/writer/movie influences for your reading pleasure. Plus, if my sketchbook ever gets lost, combusts, etc., this will be recorded on here and I can come back and read as well:

ARTISTS: [And What I Like About Their Respective Work]
[Pages From My Sketchbook. Click to Enlarge.]
* organic shapes, autobiographical, the statements her work made about war, politics, being a woman in the 1960s, rhythm, autobiography, her drawings are as a free-spirited as her sculptures.
2. Barbara Hepworth [See this Month's Inspiration!]
* round organic shapes, simplicity, boldness as a woman in the art world.
* dealing with the figure, "what it's like to be a woman", organic shapes, boldness, use of plaster, use of material, rhythm of the figure.
* colors used, autobiographical, deals with all issues in her life, bold, the theme of "womanhood", connected with her culture.
* ambiguity of shapes, "what it's like to be a woman", BOLD, different media used - not just painter; sculptor; installation, Feminism, autobiographical but also about all women in general.






















MUSICIANS/WRITERS/MOVIES:
* his honesty, emotion, pain, autobiography.
* honest, autobiographical, true to himself as an artist, paints pictures with words.
* poetry, true to himself, autobiography, you can "hear the pain."
4. Wristcutters: A Love Story
* darkly funny, in your face about issues in life people don't want to talk about - mainly suicide, death, sadness, music, honest.
This is a movie based on the short-story by Etgar Keret [Kneller's Happy Campers], there is also a comic book adaptation. The score of the film is done by Bobby Johnston as well as including songs by famous suicides such as Del Shannon and Joy Divison (Ian Curtis). Plus music by Gogol Bordello. Plus Tom Waits is in it. I Love It. Watch This Scene.
5. A Cross Between Jeff Buckley, Allen Ginsberg, and the Counting Crows [Because I couldn't Decide]
* they were/are truthful about themselves and their art, went with their instincts even if that's not what people around them would expect them to produce or like. They inspire me daily.
[Ryan Adams]

"...I can smile in the face..of mankind..."

Interestingly enough all my art inspirations are women and all my musicmoviewriters are men. Food for thought.
People who almost made this list worth mentioning: Niki de Saint Phalle, Eva Hesse, Cindy Sherman, Sam Phillips (lady musician, not Sun Records), Miriam Schapiro, Faith Ringgold, and so so many more.

What Inspires You? XO.

No comments:

Post a Comment