Thursday, September 22, 2011

Love Changes Everything.

....So in Fibers last week....WE MADE PAPER. Which I was informed, by my friend Jason, that usually 4th graders do that project. Well, we never did at my fascist school (...you know the one that recently banned but un-banned but still require parent permission for high schoolers to read? yeah, that one. if you want independent, intelligent children DON'T send them to Republic High School. Yeah, I said it. Be all you're told to be, Republic Highschoolers.), so I thought it was an awesome project!! And my paper looks like New Year's Eve threw up on it.
.......Somebody had the purple drink......



These are my two newest works:

Left, sewn cardboard. It is about 1.5 ft across and juts off the wall about 8 inches. My plan is to make another one. Bigger. WAY BIGGER. With some crocheted drapery hanging off the side......More to come on that.

Right, an old Hard Rock Cafe t-shirt I used to wear, when I was 15. It has a large bass and drum kit on the front. Whenever I used to wear it, my father would get really pissed and yell about how women can't play music and that hopefully when I were to grow up I would just marry a doctor and stay home and have babies. Did I mention that he was a peach? Yep. So I decided, first of all, fuck that noise about just being a stay at home wifemom (which is fine, just not for me. Unless you act like a martyr mother. That's annoying.) and secondly I am going to start making more autobiographical work. My 399 [that means "individual instruction"] teacher Sharon Harper [she's amazing. See For Yourself. Click.] gave us this great assignment last week. We had to list 5 artistic influences, and then 5 that were musicians, writers, and/or movies (my next post will be my list, i've decided). Then list what we liked about their work. After all of this, we were to draw the common threads between all of them. My main common thread? Autobiography. (Second place was Feminism, imagine that...) I never realized that I wanted to make work about my life. I thought I just wanted to make work. So the last few days I have been collecting old family photos to use as a source. My childhood was interesting to say the least. My mother was/is a saint, my father was a misogynistic Satan. Need I say more? Using these photos, I will make work (still out of cardboard and wire - I missed using cardboard so much!) describing my feelings during those times and during now. So, basically, on that Hard Rock t-shirt piece above I am en route to making a fucking giant vaginal shape popping right out of the center. Yeah, you read that right. Snap.

I'm excited for this project/research to start. More to come on that later....I'll keep you posted.......

In other news, Monday, I dressed like "Rock & Roll Harry Potter" [someone else's words] to school. I'm pretty cute, I just have to say:



Oh, I got new glasses by the way. I can actually see now without headaches! Who knew? Haha.




....Here's some method for your mischief:


What was that about women not being musical? Oh yeah, it was bullshit.

She loves art history as much as I do.
XO.

Follow my blog with Bloglovin

No comments:

Post a Comment